Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What a wonderful week!

I haven't been blogging lately and for the thousands of readers of this blog or maybe the one or two that happen to accidentally stumble upon it in their search for a lonely singles discussion group, well from me to you, I am sorry.

There has simply been too much going on lately. Lots of Canadian figure skating championships to watch. Lots of vintage episodes for Roseanne to be enjoyed. And that little thing called a job that gets in the way of blogging as well.

However, today I am inspired because Barack Obama became the 44th president of the United States today and it's the most hopeful I've felt in a long time. It's the defining moment of our generation and I do have to say it was nice to see George W. Bush flying off in a helicopter to spend the next few decades simply awaiting his death.

This is a big week for general enthusiast Michael Yerxa. The Australian Open began yesterday and I do hope that this is the Grand Slam tournament that Elena Dementieva can finally win. The Inauguration of Obama was today. Tomorrow, the 5th season of Lost begins. This weekend is the United States Figure Skating Championship and my annual SHE FALLS, YOU DRINK skating celebration party.

THURSDAY however is my Christmas morning as the Oscar nominations are released.I have stayed home every Oscar nom morning since grade 7 to watch the announcements live and I look forward to this year's ceremony with baited breath.

I am going to post final predictions tomorrow. However I must say that I am feeling that this year's potential nominees are proving to be very predictable. It seems as though all Oscar prognosticators are predicting the same in every major category. The BAFTAs nominations were announced last Thursday and nothing major cam out of them minus a Sally Hawkins snub and a lot of love for Slumdog, Benjamin Button and Kate Winslet.

With my nomination predictions, I am tempted to mix it up and go out on a limb in certain categories. Who will be this year's Tommy Lee Jones or Keisha Castle Hughes or who will be snubbed ala Dreamgirls or Cold Mountain? There has to be surprises and I hope for some WTF moments on Thursday morning! Final noms tomorrow.

No comments: