Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sneaky little buggers

There are always surprises on nomination day. I remember gasping out loud like the bitch that I am when Keisha Castle Hughes bumped Nicole Kidman and Jennifer Connelly out of the Best Actress category in 2003. Especially since Hughes hadn’t even been campaigned in the Best Actress category. I also remember being shocked when Dreamgirls was left out in the cold in 2006. I am sure I dramatically broke into And I am Telling You and knelt in front of my Jennifer Hudson shrine screaming WHY!?!?!?

These are who I think could sneak into the pretty solid top five of each category:

Best Picture – I predicted Wall-e would sneak in over the more predicted Frost/Nixon. However The Reader also has an outside shot.

Best Director – The 5 DGA nominees look solid, but I think that Darren Aronofsky has a chance.

Best Actor- If anyone bumps out one of the iron strong top 5 for Best Actor it will be Richard Jenkins.

Best Actress –
I still can’t believe Angelina will bump out Melissa Leo or Kristin Scott Thomas. But for some reason if Angelina or worse Sally Hawkins are bumped out, it will be in favor of Melissa Leo.

Best Supporting Actor –
This category is pretty much solidified, but Eddie Marsan could spoil if Oscar voters go crazy for Happy Go Lucky.

Best Supporting Actress –The obvious choice for spoiler in this category is Globe and SAG nominee Amy Adams, however I will go out on a line and say that Rosemarie Dewitt gets in for Rachel Getting Married.

We’re 15 hours away. I wonder if I’ll have trouble sleeping tonight.

No comments: