Monday, January 5, 2009

Auld Lang Syne


First of all, Happy New Years to you and yours! I apologize for having not updated this blog in so long as I was quite busy eating, opening presents, reflecting upon aught 08 and focusing on all my life’s failures as evidenced by the Christmas ornaments my mom bought me for each of the last 25 years.

Since the last blog we have had The SAG noms and National Society of Film Critics Awards. Nothing especially crazy has happened. It looks like Benjamin Button and Slumdog are safely in the driver’s seat in Best Picture. Sean Penn looks to be be-lining to the Best Actor statue. Best Actress seems to be a dead heat between Streep, Winslet, and Hathaway. I thought Sally Hawkins could actually win this award, but then she wasn’t nominated for a SAG, but then she won NSFC so who knows. Ledger and Cruz look like sure bets as well.

What else did we learn? Well Revolutionary Road apparently isn’t the contender everyone once thought it would be. The Dark Knight isn’t loved by SAG either, but I am positive will not be overlooked by Oscar. Kristin Scott Thomas in I’ve Loved You So Long looks like she’s on the outs. Robert Downey Jr. is Tropic Thunder is for real. And the Academy will probably nominate Angelina Jolie for Changeling. Did anyone else see her baiting her hook for Oscar in every scene or was it just me?

I love this time of year because we now are getting daily Oscar updates. Producer Guild nominees are today and Director's Guild noms are Thursday. Meanwhile, the Golden Globes are on Sunday and then things will become abundantly clear. I am salivating like a Pavlovian dog!

No comments: