Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oscar's Biggest Snubs 2008 Edition

I am actually amazed by fellow Oscar bloggers and fans about how disappointed they are in the nominations. I don't think they are the best set of nominations, but I also don't think they are the worst.

The Academy made some inspired choices in Michael Shannon, Richard Jenkins, Melissa Leo, Courtney Hunt's screenplay, and nominated M.I.A. for Best Song.

However, they really missed the Batman boat. I thought The Dark Knight was an excellent film. They also should have nominated Kate Winslet in Revolutionary Road, which I think is the much better performance. Granted she's still brilliant in The Reader. However, the day's biggest snub is not to nominate Sally Hawkins. In my opinion it's like leaving out Mickey Rourke or Sean Penn from the Best Actor category. She was one of the year's most interesting and realized performances, which just proves that Oscar rarely gets it right.

And where the hell is the love for Springsteen?

Here are the major snubs in photo form in case you're a visual learner:

No comments: