Friday, January 9, 2009

It's a TIE!!!!!


Broadcast Film Critics Awards were last night and we saw some interesting developments. Here were the winners:

Best Picture: Slumdog Millionaire

Best Director: Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire

Best Actor: Sean Penn, Milk

Best Actress: tie!!
Meryl Streep, Doubt; Anne Hathaway, Rachel Getting Married

Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight

Best Supporting Actress: Kate Winslet, The Reader

I must first say I am not surprised by Slumdog , Penn or Ledger’s wins. They were to be expected and I think they are unstoppable at this point. I am sad that Mickey Rourke won’t be facebreaker knee smashing his way to Oscar glory, but if he’s to lose I’m more than fine having it be to Sean Penn.

The Best Actress and Supporting Actress races have gotten infinitely more interesting. Earlier this week I called Kate Winslet and Penelope Cruz for wins. But now the BFCA have thrown a curve ball. The tie in Best Actress shocks me and whoever wins the Globe on Sunday night will officially become the frontrunner. I really did think that Penny Cruz was unbeatable in Supporting Actress but now it seems as though it may be the place to reward Kate Winslet this year. Mark my words, she will be nominated in both categories and cannot and will not lose both.

Kate Winslet will win an Oscar this year. The acting winners this year will be Penn, Ledger, and Winslet. Will the other winner be Hathaway or Cruz? I anxiously await the Globes to shed more light. Is it just me or is there something about Academy Award Winner Anne Hathaway that just doesn’t sound right?

No comments: