Thursday, January 22, 2009

Nom Reactions

Holy fuck. I am spent. It is only 10am and already I am exhausted.

The nominations for the 81st Oscars were announced today and here are the nominees and my general reactions:

Best PictureMilk
The Reader
Slumdog Millionaire
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frost/Nixon

Reactions: If seems as though the Academy and Batman are on the outs. The Dark Knight's snub was very surprising to me as was the inclusion of The Reader. Slumdog wins no hands down.

Best DirectorGus Van Sant - Milk
David Fincher - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Ron Howard - Frost/Nixon
Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire
Stephen Daldry - The Reader

Reactions: I am shocked to see Chris Nolan left out in this category. I have to say I had a hunch Stephen Daldry would get in for Best Director. His first two films saw him nominated. Now he's a perfect 3 for 3. Boyle for the win.

Best ActorBrad Pitt - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon
Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler
Sean Penn - Milk
Richard Jenkins - The Visitor

Reactions: No CLINT EASTWOOD??? I guess the academy prefers ole Clint as a director and not as an actor. This was a huge surprise. It seems as though (and I stole this from my friend Dan's facebook status) that Eastwood will be grunting and giving the finger gun to the Academy all day. Now this becomes a two man race and the most interesting race of all. Rourke vs. Penn. The Ram vs. Harvey Milk. Bring it on.

Best Actress
Meryl Streep - Doubt
Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married
Angelina Jolie - Changeling
Melissa Leo - Frozen River
Kate Winslet - The Reader

Reactions: WTF????????? I never expected Kate Winslet for The Reader. I mean I know the Academy has a history of putting people in the categories as they see fit but as my good Oscar buddy Andrew said "I can't see how Winslet got more leading nominations for The Reader than she did Supporting for the same film and leading for Revolutionary Road." I don't know how that scenario played out but kudos to her. It becomes clear that she now owns this category. It's hers to lose. I am so sad about Sally Hawkins' snub. Hawkins is the actress, while it's clear that Hathaway and Jolie are the Oscar baiting movie stars. Winslet will live up to the first three letters of her last name.

Best Supporting ActorMichael Shannon - Revolutionary Road
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
Robert Downey Jr. - Tropic Thunder
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt
Josh Brolin - Milk

Reactions: Pretty much played out as I expected. I feel bad for Dev Patel, but Michael Shannon truly deserved his spot. Give Ledger his Oscar already.

Best Supporting ActressAmy Adams - Doubt
Viola Davis - Doubt
Penelope Cruz - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Teraji P. Henson - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler

Reactions: No Kate Winslet for The Reader makes this category less interesting for sure. I am happy to see Amy Adams get career nom number 2. Are you ready for Academy Award winner Penelope Cruz because in six weeks that's what she will be. Although there is an outside shot that Viola Davis could win, but it's not likely.

Okay I have to go and shave because I am appearing on Toronto's local station to talk Oscars and I look like Grizzly Adams.

No comments: