Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The State of the Race: Best Actor


The last few Best Actor races have had clear cut favorites steam roll through the awards circuit. Of course I am talking about the trio Jamie Foxx, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Forrest Whitaker.

This year it seems to be quite similar with Daniel Day Lewis' oil tycoon Daniel Plainview monopolizing the awards the same way his character monopolizes the black gold wells in Texas.

I would say it would be safe to call the race over, however I thought the same way five years ago when Day Lewis' Bill the Butcher looked like he would take his meat cleaver all the way to the podium. That was until Adrien Brody made a late surge and won the award.

I still expect Day Lewis to win for his monumental performance. His Howard Hughes-esque descent into madness is something truly spectacular.

I expect the four other nominees to be George Clooney (who might have stood a chance had he not won a handful of years ago), Viggo Mortensen, Johnny Depp (even though Sweeney is slipping very quickly), and Emile Hirsch.

Daniel Day Lewis and Clooney are locks. The other three could be subsituted in any order with James McAvoy (who does nothing to warrant any attention in Atonement) or Ryan Gosling (which would be a lovely surprise and a deserved nomination).

If there is a complete surprise in this category it could come in the form of Frank Langella, Tommy Lee Jones, or Josh Brolin (who should get a nod for his superb 75% non verbal performance.)

Now who's my personal vote in this category. While I can't help but give my own personal tip of the hat to Day Lewis, I would probably vote to Hirsch whose performance was as equally fascinating as his on screen persona.

No comments: