Monday, January 21, 2008

Nominations Anyone?


Tomorrow is one of my favorite days of the year. I have watched the Oscar nominations live every year since 1995. My mom used to let me cut classes in elementary and junior high school and the only blip on my perfect attendance in high school was nomination morning.

I love nomination morning because there are always huge surprises. There are performances you would have considered a nomination lock that are left out and some you never think would be amongst the final 5. Last year's major shock was the omission of Dreamgirls from Best Picture. The biggest surprise I can remember in my 14 nomination mornings would have to be Keisha Castle Hughes completely shocking, but insanely deserving, nomination.

This year it's safe to say there are front runners in all acting categories, but picture and director are all over the place.

Could we see any shockers? I hope so. I always rocks the boat and makes for fun.

Here are my official predictions for the 2007 Academy Awards.

Best Picture:

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Atonement
Juno
There Will Be Blood
No Country for Old Men

Next in: Michael Clayton

Best Director

The Coen Brothers, No Country for Old Men
Tony Gilroy, Michael Clayton
Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood
Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Sean Penn, Into the Wild

Next in: Joe Wright, Atonement

Best Actor

George Clooney, Michael Clayton
Daniel Day Lewis, There Will Be Blood
Johnny Depp, Sweeney Todd
Emile Hirsch, Into the Wild
Viggo Mortensen, Eastern Promises

Next in: Ryan Gosling, Lars and the Real Girl

Best Actress

Cate Blanchett, Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Julie Christie, Away from Her
Marion Cotillard, La Vie En Rose
Angelina Jolie, A Mighty Heart
Ellen Page, Juno

Next in: Laura Linney, The Savages

To me this is the toughest call. I want to see Amy Adams in this category, but I am so torn between Blanchett and Linney. But Blanchett has had GG, SAG and BAFTA attention and Linney is 0-3

Best Supporting Actor

Casey Affleck, The Assassination of Jesse James...
Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
Philip Seymour Hoffman, Charlie Wilson's War
Hal Holbrook, Into the Wild
Tom Wilkinson, Michael Clayton

Next in: Tommy Lee Jones, No Country for Old Men

Best Supporting Actress

Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There
Jennifer Garner, Juno
Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone
Saorise Ronan, Atonement
Tilda Swinton, Michael Clayton

Next In: Ruby Dee, American Gangster

Best Original Screenplay

Michael Clayton
Juno
The Savages
Lars and the Real Girl
Eastern Promises

Next In: Ratatouille

Best Adapeted Screenplay

No Country for Old Men
Atonement
There Will Be Blood
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Into the Wild

Next In: Charlie Wilson's War

I can't wait for tomorrow. Here's to some surprises and here's to the most deserving being nominated. On a personal note, here's to Sarah Polley's adapted screenplay nod. She told me if she won, she'd thank me. I'm not holding my breath for a nom or a win.

No comments: