Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Nom Reactions!

Oscar nomination morning is my Christmas morning. So what did I find under Oscar's tree this year. What presents sucked? What presents were great? And what presents did I not expect?

Here are the nominees:

BEST PICTURE
"Atonement"
"Juno"
"Michael Clayton"
"No Country for Old Men"
"There Will Be Blood"

Reactions: I was expecting The Diving Bell and the Butterfly and hoping for Sweeney Todd, but overall no major surprises here.


BEST ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett, "Elizabeth: The Golden Age"
Julie Christie, "Away From Her"
Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"
Laura Linney, "The Savages"
Ellen Page, "Juno"

Reactions: I am wiping the tears from my wannabe Disney Princess eyes for Amy Adams. The performance was too lightweight. Really surprised to see both Blanchett and Linney over Angie Jo Jo. I expected one or the other, but not both. Linney and Blanchett are obviously loved by the Academy, so I'll know never to count either out again.

BEST ACTOR
George Clooney, "Michael Clayton"
Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"
Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd"
Viggo Mortensen, "Eastern Promises"
Tommy Lee Jones, "In the Valley of Elah"

Reactions: WOW for Tommy Lee Jones who I would have expected in the Supporting category instead of lead. I guess Supporting simply couldn't make room for him. Although TLJ did edge out Emile Hirsch and Ryan Gosling. I sense some ageism there. Too bad for Emile because it truly was a mesmerizing leading performance. He held the screen by himself for repeated long periods of time and was fascinating each and every time. No small feat.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Cate Blanchett, "I'm Not There"
Ruby Dee, "American Gangster"
Saoirse Ronan, "Atonement"
Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"
Tilda Swinton, "Michael Clayton"

Reactions: No major surprise here. I was hoping for Jennifer Garner but she might have split votes with costar Alison Janney. Ruby Dee is the kind uninspiring nomination that makes my blood boil. She's old and a legend, but what impact did she make in her 5 minute American Gangster performance?

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Casey Affleck, "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"
Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"
Hal Holbrook, "Into The Wild"
Tommy Lee Jones, "No Country For Old Men"
Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Charlie Wilson's War"
Tom Wilkinson, "Michael Clayton"

Reactions: I went 5 for 5 in my predictions. Too bad for Edna Turnblad. She's never get hobnob and drink rum and cokes with the hoipolloi.

BEST DIRECTOR
Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood"
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"
Julian Schnabel, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"
Jason Reitman, "Juno"

Reactions: I did not expect Jason Reitman. I love director because you can always guarantee that the category will not line up 5 for 5 with the Best Picture noms. Juno could really challenge for a Best Picture win now that Reitman is in as well.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Diablo Cody, "Juno"
Nancy Oliver, "Lars and the Real Girl"
Tony Gilroy, "Michael Clayton"
Brad Bird, Story by Jan Pinkava, Jim Capobianco, Brad Bird, "Ratatouille"
Tamara Jenkins, "The Savages"

Reactions: It's nice to see three women nominated. Diablo Cody will win but I see Tony Gilroy as a serious dark horse threat.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
Paul Thomas Anderson, "There Will Be Blood"
Christopher Hampton, "Atonement"
Ronald Harwood, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, "No Country for Old Men"
Sarah Polley, "Away From Her"

Reactions: Thrilled to see Sarah Polley as I really did not expect it. Now fingers crossed for a win, although she's up against three former winners. But anything can happen and I would just love to be thanked.

No comments: