Monday, January 14, 2008

No frontrunner for Old Oscar

The Golden Globes gave their annual awards out last night.This year's Globes featured a tremendously tacky ceremony on NBC starring celebrity leeches or celebrileeches Nancy O'Dell and Billy Bush announcing the winners. I am in solidarity with the writers, but if I have to sit through another one of these type of things I may change my tune. The horrendous banter between bottom of the barrel Bush and poor woman Mary Hart O'Dell made me long for a good ole fashioned Globe ceremony. I could have even dealt with three hours of staring at Rumer Willis.

I was tremendously off on my predictions last night because I chose performances and films that seemed to be unbeatable. However, there were several major surprises. Cate Blanchett beating Amy Ryan for one. Julian Shnabel picking up the award for Best Director for The Diving Bell over the Coens. The Coens winning Best Screenplay over Ms. Cody. Sweeney Todd winning Best Picture over Ms. Cody's creation. And Juno herself losing to Edith Piaf. I was also surprised to see Atonement win because I don't believe that people love it. I didn't.What last night cemented is that there is no front runner for Best Picture or Director. It's even possible that both Best Pictures at the Globes (Sweeney Todd and Atonement) will be left out of that category for Oscar. Possible yes, probable no! It would be something if both were left off the shortlist, creating an essential predicting nightmare. I really hope voters go for Sweeney Todd.

I still think No Country for Old Men and The Coen Brothers will win for Best Picture and Best Director. Both acting categories are now locked and loaded meaning that Day Lewis and Bardem can write their speeches now.

The Actress categories just got a lot more interesting. Early on it looked like a clear victory for Cate Blanchett, then the critics hailed Amy Ryan as their queen and she took the lead. Now Blanchett seems to have the edge. But my gut tells me that Ryan will win.

The Actress race is still a close battle between the vet, the newcomer, and the 20 year old. Cotillard needed that Globe win or she would have had no chance for the Oscar. Julie Christie is still the front runner but Cotillard is trailing very close. I hope Oscar voters come to their senses and see the need to reward her as much as Day Lewis and Bardem. And should either of the Cs lose steam Ellen Page will deservedly claim the prize. Something tells me that I don't think the Juno buzz has quite reached its due date yet.

No comments: