Monday, January 28, 2008

The Oscar SAGa continues.


The SAG awards were presented last night. Four expected wins and one major surprise is what SAG presented us with. As well as a seriously discolored scalped Mickey Rooney. How is Heath Ledger dead and Mickey Rooney is still kicking? The mysteries of Hollywood...

I didn't do a predictions blog but I would have predicted the following for wins:

Best Ensemble: No Country for Old Men
Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis
Best Actress: Julie Christie (sigh)
Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem
Best Supporting Actress: Amy Ryan

The huge surprise of last night was Ruby Dee winning Best Supporting Actress. This win worries me because I fear that Oscar voters will go for the 83 year old because of who she is and not because of the performance. In my opinion we've had too many Supporting Acting Oscars used for lifetime achievement awards lately (I am talking to you Alan Arkin and James Coburn). I would have thought SAG voter would go for longtime character actress Amy Ryan. She's an actor's actor having toiled in theatres and film bit parts for years. But again they gave a five minute performance the award over Ryan and Blanchett. Hopefully this trend, like the film Dreamgirls suggests, exists for one night only.

Daniel Day Lewis is unbeatable. His speech will force even those not in his camp to vote for him.

Julie Christie is Oscar bound as well. I was hoping SAG voters would go for the transformative Marion Cotillard and give her a much needed leg up in the race. I would have also loved an Ellen Page win. I will have to just deal with the fact that Marion will be robbed.

Javier Bardem is unstoppable.

No Country for Old Men will most definately win Best Picture unless voters are too charmed by Juno or too blown away by Day Lewis and There Will Be Blood.

A plea to Oscar voters Ruby Dee for the loss.

No comments: