Thursday, December 13, 2007

Good Morning Golden Globes!


I woke up today a la Tracy Turnblad, but instead of singing an ode to Baltimore I was instead eagerly anticipating this year's Golden Globe Nominations. As I said yesterday the Golden Globes are fascinating because their nominations either propel a film or performance into serious consideration for Oscar or halts them dead in their tracks. Today's nominations provided some serious excitement. Here are my thoughts on the main categories:

Best Picture Drama: 7 Nominees. I see Atonement winning here. Great Debaters???

Best Picture Comedy/Musical: Only surprise is Charlie Wilson's War. I guess it's a contender afterall. Should be a battle between Sweeney Todd and Juno.

Best Actor Drama: Viggo's nomination is well deserved. I expect a Daniel Day Lewis to be the winner.

Best Actor Comedy/Musical: Johnny Depp will win. Surprised to see Phillip Seymour Hoffman in this category, but no Laura Linney in the Actress category.

Best Actress Drama: Not a single surprise here. Actually a really weak category. Julie Christie will win.

Best Actress Comedy/Drama: I think this the strongest category. Don't really know why Marion Cotillard is here as La Vie en Rose is neither a comedy nor a musical (she doesn't even do her own singing). I wish Marion Cotillard had been placed in Drama where she would have won the award (and trumped Julie Christie) and Ellen Page or Amy Adams would have walked away with this statuette. If anyone beats Cotillard there is no justice in the cinematic heavens. So happy for Nikki Blonsky.

Best Supporting Actor: John Travolta's nomination was no surprise in my opinion, but it did push Hal Holbrook out of the race. I expect the exact opposite to happen in the Oscar race.

Best Supporting Actress: This is the race to watch. This race was declared over after TIFF when Cate Blanchett blew everyone's socks off as Jude Quinn. However,Amy Ryan's suburb work as Helene in Gone Baby Gone has been getting the acclaim from all three major critics groups. I see the HFPA choosing Blanchett because she is a movie star. However, I would love to see a Ryan victory because she is the performance of the category. Interesting to see Julia Roberts in here.

Who was snubbed?

Jack Nicholson for The Bucket List
Knocked Up, Seth Rogen, Kathryn Heigl, or Judd Apatow
No love for Margot at the Wedding, which I am totally cool with.
No love for 3:10 to Yuma, which exits the Oscar race.
No love for Russell Crowe or Tommy Lee Jones, both who could have scored double noms but double bageled instead.
ONCE :(

Things will really become more clear when the SAG nominations come out next week. I would expect the nominated casts to be:

Hairspray
Atonement
No Country for Old Men
Sweeney Todd
Juno

No comments: