Monday, December 17, 2007

Au revoir Las Vegas.


What do you say to Taking Chances? sings Madame Celine Dion in the title track for her latest studio album. It's clear that Celine took a major chance in 2003 when she decided to effectively put her career on hold and enter a long term gig at Caesar's Palace in Vegas. Vegas entertainers are known for effectively being so larger than life, that they essentially become a spoof of themselves that spawn countless impersonation and drag acts. Think Wayne Newton, The Rat Pack and of course, the king of king, Elvis.

I guess Celine was ready to enter this territory. I am sure any celeb who was given millions of dollars would have no problem with it either. Celine subsequently went into temporary career hibernation and fell off the pop culture radar. Those of us who had grown accustomed to her annual Oscar ballad would have to travel to the desert for any glimpse of Quebec's favorite daughter.

On Saturday night Celine said Au revoir to Las Vegas after an almost five year run at a specially built theatre in Caesar's Palace. She had performed over 700 performance for people all over the world. I had the fortune of seeing Celine in her last week of performances. The aspect that I have always loved about Celine is how passionate a person she is. She is almost laughably passionate whenever she performs a signature song and especially when she speaks about... anything. However, the thing about Celine is that her passion and emotion is sincere. You actually believe that she cares deeply about everything. It's not a false act in order to advance her record sales. I think that is why she is such a beloved world wide figure.


I found the theatrics of her show to be pretty lame at times. There were some great numbers, but I felt the theatrics could have been more jaw dropping and inspiring. I can understand that director Franco Dragone (best known for countless Cirque du Soleil shows) didn't want effects or theatrics to take away from Celine's vocal theatrics. But overall, I found the show to be over choreographed and under conceived. Although the back wall, world's largest LCD screen, was pretty impressive. Throughout the 90 minute greatest hits catalogue a strange albino clown and a short-statured bell hop were on stage the entire time, sans explanation. I understand the idea of the abstract, but this was just nonsensical.

However, Celine was phenomenal. Her voice is flawless and she performs each song with flailing Quebecois gusto. I was surprised by how many songs Celine has in her repertoire that are guilty pleasures. How can anyone not enjoy a A New Day/Power of Love/It's All Coming Back to Me Now medley? I am so happy I got to see La Coeur de La Mer live and in person in Vegas. It was the chance of a lifetime, especially since now the strip will possess only drag Celines beating against their chests and speaking very passionate thoughts in heavy accents. However, I saw the real thing and someday I will say to myself "Celine in Vegas. Je me Souviens."

No comments: