Monday, June 1, 2009

Tony Soprano meets Antoinette Perry!

Hey gals and gays.

It's early June. I have written nary a blog since February. Two things have happened recently that have forced me back into blogging. I have recently become unemployed (as of, you know, today) and I was also recently interviewed for a How Do You Solve Maria follow up documentary where I am listed as "ENTERTAINMENT BLOGGER". I figured it was time to hop back on the blog bandwagon as 1. I have more than enough time to blog and 2. I don't want to be falsely credited as something I am not. Like the time I was credited as comedian Michael Lawrence on Much Music's Video on Trial. To quote Kelly Clarkson NEVER AGAIN.

So here it is ENTERTAINMENT BLOGGER Mike Yerxa blogging about the gayest awards since the grabby awards. the TONYS.

I did my annual April trip to New York to scope out all that might glitter Tony gold. I was able to see 5 shows in 4 days featuring the likes of Susan Sarandon, Allison Janney, and even Tony Soprano himself.

Here's my rundown.

Thursday: Exit the King

Starring: Geoffrey Rush, Susan Sarandon, & Claire Fisher.

Price for Ticket: $25 (Thank you 4 year old expired student I.D.)

Thoughts: I really didn't know WTF was happening. But great actors are great actors and it was this or The Little Mermaid.

Friday: God of Carnage

Starring: That crazy bitch from The Mist, Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber, Tony Soprano, and that actress that you recognize but can't think of her name. (Marcia Gay Harden, Jeff Daniels, James Gandolfini, and Hope Davis)

Price for Ticket: $20 (Standing room only bitches)

Thoughts: Really really really funny and entertaining. Who knew a play about two sets of parents meeting about one boy hitting the other with a stick could be so entertaining?

Saturday matinee: West Side Story

Starring: A guy too old to play Tony, an Argentinian import Maria, a completely forgettable Riff, and a miscast, but fierce Anita.

Price for Ticket: $24 (partial views. I made friends with the New York ticket brokers who rip people off and sell these seats for $90 a pop)

Thoughts: I had a perma Orgasm face (see below) during this show. BRILLIANT!!!

Saturday evening: 9 to 5 The Musical

Starring: Allison Janney, Stephanie J. Block and Megan Hilty.

Price for Ticket $66 (thanks to one of them Broadway discounts I found on the internet.)

Thoughts: I was pleasantly surprised. I hate to say but I could barely get through the movie and I love a female centric comedy especially one that is pro feminism. However this show was clever and a lot of fun. I want Dolly Parton to adopt me.

Sunday: Hair

Starring: Lots of broadway folk who got naked.

Price for Ticket: $75 (some special deal I found, which was great because this show is selling like a Hannah Montana concert)

Thoughts: It has the best music and it was really great production. I really do like when people can naked in a musical. The girl who sang Aquarius can belt better than American Idol all divas combined (of course not including Fantasia and Jhud). But give me her over a thousand Trenyces and Syesha Mercados.

So I got to see 5 show that will factor largely in the Tony Awards. I still haven't seen Billy Elliot. I won't see Shrek The Musical. And I am sure that any one of the thousand high school productions around the continent of Guys and Dolls is better than the one on Broadway right now. ZING!!!

Here's what I think will win at Sunday's awards.

Best Musical: Billy Elliot
Best Play: God of Carnage
Best Revival of a Musical: Hair
Best Revival of a Play: The Norman Conquests
Best Actor in a Musical: Trent Kowalik, David Alvarez, Kiril Kulish in Billy Elliot
Best Actor in a Play: Geoffrey Rush in Exit the King
Best Actress in a Musical: Alice Ripley in Next To Normal
Best Actress in a Play: Marcia Gay Harden in God of Carnage
Best Supporting Actor in a Musical: Will Swenson in Hair
Best Supporting Actor in a Play: Roger Robinson in Joe Turner's Come and Gone
Best Supporting Actress in a Musical: Karen Olivo in West Side Story
Best Supporting Actress in a Play: Angela Lansbury in Blithe Spirit

1 comment:

Joel Corriveau said...

Hello Sir, glad to see you writing again. I respect your views and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

"(Thank you 4 year old expired student I.D.)"I love it. After Queen's, I went to Concordia, and my Concordia student ID was future dated for 3 years AFTER I graduated. WTF? Thank you!