Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Best Picture Two thousand and NINE?

Every few years a movie comes to theatres and I pretty much surrender life as I know it to see it as many times as possible.

It is usually:

A movie musical

&

A female centric movie musical.

Being a huge fan of theatre, I seriously lose mah shit when a musical is adapted into a big screen film. Why you ask? Well first of all, it is the marriage of my love of film and theatre. And whenever a musical becomes a film, they pull out all the stops and you get to truly see how talented some of our movie stars can actually be. It doesn't quite work in the opposite way however. When a film is turned into a Broadway show, often the original cinematic material is compromised in some way to make each number bigger, bolder and more bubblegum. OMIGOD you guys! These movies into Broadway often star very talented Broadway stars but it doesn't have the same WOW factor that a big movie musical can possess with its inventive cinematic stagings of musical numbers.

In 2002, I went to Boston from New Brunswick on my Christmas vacation in order to see Chicago three times. I saw it an additional 3 times in movie theatres. All That Jizz (in my pants)

In 2006, I saw Dreamgirls 16 times in a movie theatre. In January of 2007, if I was anywhere, I was probably in a movie theatre watching JHud belt out And I'm Telling You.

In 2007, I saw Hairspray as many times as possible and was actually crestfallen when the singalong version left Toronto theatres in less than a week.

In 2009
I will probably see NINE for the entire month of November and December.

BEHOLD THE CAST:

Academy Award Winner Daniel Day Lewis
Academy Award Winner Judi Dench
Academy Award Winner Marion Cotillard
Academy Award Winner Nicole Kidman
Academy Award Winner Penelope Cruz
Academy Award Winner Sophia Loren

&
Academy Award Nominee (if only we could rescind this) Kate Hudson

&

FERGIE!!!!!


While I am not keen about the star of Bride Wars and Fool's Gold or the singer of Fergalicious and Boom Boom Pow tainting my cinematic experience. The rest of the cast certainly makes up for these shortcomings.

And after watching the trailer where Fergie, or Stacy Ferguson or whatever the meth they are going to call her, tears up the first act closer BE ITALIAN. I am very keen on all things Nine.

So what to expect with this film:

Rob Marshall did brilliant things with Chicago in 2002 and expect a very similar musical numbers as dream sequences approach with NINE!

The music is beautiful. We have already heard Fergie attack BE ITALIAN in the trailer. I'll be interesting to hear what Nicole Kidman does with Unusual Way, which I believe to be the most beautiful song in the show.

I can't wait to see how DDL fares in a musical.

And it'll be nice to see Sophia Loren, the only actual Italian in the film, in a big Oscar season movie once again.

I am now deciding to take in all the summer sun that is possible and spend copious amounts of time with friends because it is safe to say I will spend two months and many multiples of nine viewing this film. I plan to leave the theatre mid December looking much like the Unabomber. I'm sure to be on cloud NINE!

1 comment:

Murph said...

I'm still a big fan of Banderas' rendition of Guido's Song from the recent revival. And who can top Jane Krakowski in A Call from the Vatican? BUT this trailer blew my mind like a first rate BJ and so I fully expect to be hyperexcited in the weeks leading up to its release.