Monday, May 12, 2008

Tony Time

While Oscar nomation morning is my Christmas, Tony Noms morning is like my Easter. While I live for the Oscar, I definitely love for the Tonys. While other gays growing up played dolls or drag queen dress up, I played Tony Awards. (Who am I kidding, I totally played with Stawberry Shortcake and rocked a fierce sequin dress too)! But I did love to play Cats or Phantom of the Opera more.

Tomorrow the Tony nominations will be released and for a change I've actually seen many of the contenders for 2008 Tonys. I've been fortunate enough to see Young Frankenstein, In The Heights, Sunday in the Park with George, Gypsy and August: Osage County. Every time I take a trip to NYC, I find myself leaving and saying if I only had room for one more show. But Broadway will always be there and I will always need to stay on top of what shows will require me to have a great childhood game of Tony Awards.

On that note here are my predictions for the 2008 Tony Awards

Best Play

August: Osage County
The 39 Steps
Rock N Roll
The Seafarer

Best Musical

Xanadu
Passing Strange
In the Heights
A Catered Affair

Best Revival of a Play

Macbeth
Boeing Boeing
The Homecoming
Top Girls

Best Revival of a Musical

Grease
Sunday in the Park with George
Gypsy
South Pacific

Best Actor in a Play

Kevin Kline - Cyrano de Bergerac
Laurence Fishburne - Thurgood
Patrick Stewart - Macbeth
Rufus Sewell - Rock N Roll
Ben Daniels - Les Liasons Dangereuses

Best Actor in a Musical

Lin-Manuel Miranda - In The Heights
Paulo Szot - South Pacific
Stew - Passing Strange
Roger Bart - Young Frankenstein
Daniel Evans - Sunday in the Park with George

Best Actress in a Play

Deanna Dunagan - August: Osage County
S. Epatha Markeson - Come Back Little Sheba
Amy Morton - August: Osage County
Laura Linney - Les Liasons Dangereuses
Kate Fleetwood - Macbeth

Best Actress in a Musical

Kerry Butler - Xanadu
Patti Lupone - Gypsy
Kelli O'Hara - South Pacific
Faith Prince - A Catered Affair
Jenna Russell - Sunday in the Park with George

Best Supporting Actor in a Play

Francis Guinan - August: Osage County
Conleth Hill - The Seafarer
James Earl Jones - Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Raul Esparza - The Homecoming
Jim Norton - The Seafarer

Best Supporting Actor in a Musical

Boyd Gaines - Gypsy
Danny Burstein - South Pacific
Daniel Breaker - Passing Strange
Christopher Fitzgerald - Young Frankenstein
Harvey Fierstein - A Catered Affair

Best Supporting Actress in a Play

Laurie Metcalf - November
Rondi Reed - August: Osage County
Sinead Cusack - Rock N Roll
Eve Best - The Homecoming
Marisa Tomei - Top Girls

Best Supporting Actress in a Musical

Andrea Martin - Young Frankenstein
Loretta Able Sayres - South Pacific
Laura Benanti - Gypsy
Alli Mauzy - Cry Baby
Sherie Rene Scott - The Little Mermaid

No comments: