Friday, May 16, 2008

Everything's Coming Up a Size 8-10!

Two major events have happened in my life this week and they were splendid.

Of course I celebrated my metaphorical Easter morning by waking up early on Tuesday to ring in the Tony nominations. So I am a massive gay, but come on musicals aren't going to love themselves.

The 2008 Tonys definitely look interesting. In terms of new musicals, the big Disney and Mel Brooks vehicles were left with virtually no love, while small unknown shows are representing like me at an all you can eat KFC dinner. I was sad to see A Catered Affair left out of the race for Best Musical. I haven't seen it, but I am a fan of smaller Broadway musicals that are not blatant film rip offs geared to tourists from Omaha. I am also happy to see lots of love for August: Osage County. It truly was a brilliant night of theatre. Who am I rooting for? I would be ecstatic if Aunt Jackie would win Best Supporting Actress in a Play (because who wouldn't want that?) and if we could have some Andrea Martin love in Best Supporting Actress in a Musical. I am totally looking forward to the Tony performances and can't wait to wear out VHS tapes by playing them over and over again for the next few decades.

The other event was the pivotal finale of America's Next Top Model. Of course I am steal reeling from Natasha not winning ANTM Cycle 8 last May, but it's obviously hasn't quenched my adoration for the show. And of course all us plus sized sistahs and full figured fetuses were rooting for a Whitney win. We got a Whitney win and it was oh so satisfying. I kind of figured she would win because the show would have gained nothing with an Anya win. It would have definitely picked up some points in the Tranny community had Do -MAN- ique won. It would have also provided a fantastic way for her to afford a denture for that missing molar. Digression aside, the show won major points by not awarding the win to a size 0-2 girl who "photographs beautifully". We've seen dozens of girls on cycles past who were high fashion and pretty, but their winning would never be able to make a statement. Whitney's win does and the show (Tyra/Narcissus) knew that it needed the newspaper title "Plus Sized Crowned America's Next Top Mode"l to make it once again news worthy and topical. Tyra may spend hours staring at herself in a pond of water, but bitch ain't stupid. I still think Natasha was robbed and I especially still think that Lauren's Covergirl collection is the most brilliant thing ever captured on film.

No comments: