Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Here are your hosts!


Yesterday morning news broke of rumors that James Franco and Anne Hathaway might be on their way to hosting this year's Oscars. By afternoon, an official press release had been issued confirming that they were indeed the hosts of the 83rd Annual Academy Awards.

When I had the chance to meet Bruce Vilanch (head writer of the Oscars since 2000) at the opening night for Priscilla Queen of the Desert in Toronto, we chatted a bit about the Oscars. I tried to get certain info out of him while coming across very cool, calm and collected even though I was secretly dying with excitement on the inside. He told me that Justin Timberlake was a real option for them and since The Social Network was proving to be a huge factor in the race. I told him I thought that he and Gabby Sidibe should host. My attempt was to make him laugh with one of MY jokes. He told me that there aren't enough 3D screens in the world.

While JT or Bruce Vilanch/Gabby Sidibe haven't actually materialized, I am actually quite pleased with the unexpected combo of Franco/Hathaway. Both are young and will bring in viewers en masse. Both are gifted comedians. Both have major charm and appeal. Both have a great deal of clout in Hollywood for their ages. And both can sing (and Oscar loves an opening musical number).

I think their choice is unorthodox but really inspired. I can't wait to see how they do. And I think Franco, who will be a Best Actor nominee for 127 Hours, might be the first host to be nominated for an acting award in the same evening. He might even take the trophy.

One thing for sure is to expect plenty of arm amputation jokes care of Mr. Vilanch.

No comments: