Monday, November 8, 2010

Best Actor 2010


It has to be said that 2010 has been the year of stronger lead female performances. There are literally 10 actresses vying for the 5 coveted actress spots. Best Actor is far less competitive. It seems to me it will be a line up consisting of almost all previous nominees, with two actors who have done consistently great work over the past decade running neck and neck for the award.

Here's how I see the category breaking down:

My current nominees predictions:

Javier Bardem - Biutiful
Jeff Bridges - True Grit
Colin Firth - The King's Speech
James Franco - 127 Hours
Ryan Gosling - Blue Valentine

Other potential nominees could be: Robert Duvall - Get Low, Jesse Eisenberg - The Social Network, Jim Sturgess - The Way Back, Aaron Eckhart - Rabbit Hole, Leonard DiCaprio - Inception.

I think Firth and Franco are locks at this point. Bridges (last year's winner) and Bardem look good. Gosling is the one holding the most precarious ground, but he is well liked by the Academy. I think that Duvall is the most likely to shake up my predicted top 5, but it does depend how Get Low fares in the year end critic races.

At this point the race is down between Franco and Firth, two amazing actors who have consistently done great work in the past decade. I've seen both performances. Firth is charmingly stubborn and the performance is a crowd pleaser, but Franco carries his film and is astounding throughout. My vote would go for Franco. But I think the Academy will lean towards Firth. But it's early.

No comments: