Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Race Begins 2008


I haven’t yet purchased my Christmas advent calendar. Not because I don’t love the little chocolates inside. Trust me, Michael Agustus Gloop Yerxa definitely does! I have yet to purchase my calendar because I don’t really care about Christmas. I should let it be known that am not the Grinch or Scrooge McDuck. Christmas is great for a lot of things. For me it’s great for punching my time card with my family, drinking lots of rum and eggnog and returning to my home town to see (and silently judge) how fat my high school friends have gotten. * photo is of actual high school friends.

However, in these days leading up to winter solstice and old St. Nick’s arrival, I care significantly more about the advent calendar of the Oscar race. We are now in the thick of the Oscar race as each day in December will reveal a new group’s nomination list, a film critic’s top ten list, or the actual release of the film itself.


Here’s what we have to look forward to:

Dec. 4 - National Board of Review announces winners

Dec. 9 - Los Angeles Film Critics Assn. winners unveiled

Dec. 9 - Critics Choice announces nominees

Dec. 10 - New York Film Critics Circle declares winners

Today the Indie Spirit Awards were announced and here are my general reactions:
Milk somehow misses out on Best Picture and Best Director
The Wrestler is nominated for Best Picture but not Best Director… WEIRD?
Melissa Leo in Frozen River is really starting to gain some steam. Could she push out a Jolie or even Hathaway or Winslet in the Actress category?
James Franco and not Josh Brolin is nominated for Best Supporting Actor.
I am dying to see Debra Winger nominated for an Oscar Best Supporting Actress and she was nominated today, while Marisa Tomei (whose stock is quickly falling) was not.

Up next for Oscar is National Board of Review, but lets not forget about Grammy Noms tomorrow and fingers crossed that Adele does well.

No comments: