Thursday, December 4, 2008

Adele does well!


The Grammy’s announced their nominations last night. The Grammy’s make virtually no sense to me. How did River: The Joni Letters win Album of the year last year? Or how did Milli Vanilli win Best New Artist once upon a lip synch? And how the hell did Christopher Cross (who the hell is he?) beat The Wall by Pink Floyd for Album of the Year in 1980?

This year The Grammy’s made some inspiring choices and some less than inspiring choices. However, I am elated because Adele made it into three of the four main categories.


Well here are this year’s nominees and my general reactions.

Album Of The Year
Viva La Vida (Coldplay)
Tha Carter III (Lil Wayne)
Year Of The Gentleman (Ne-Yo)
Raising Sand (Robert Plant & Alison Krauss)
In Rainbows (Radiohead)

Reactions: Happy to see Radiohead in the mix. Lil Wayne leads with nominations but I imagine Robert Plant & Alison Krauss will win. Album of the year seems like a lifetime achievement award as of late.

Record Of The Year
"Chasing Pavements" (Adele)
"Viva La Vida" (Coldplay)
"Bleeding Love" (Leona Lewis)
"Paper Planes" (M.I.A.)
"Please Read The Letter" (Robert Plant & Alison Krauss)

Reactions: I love the nomination for M.I.A. and it will probably completely ruin her street cred. Adele is a surprise, but again elation from me! I would have expected I Kissed a Girl, or Mercy before Chasing Pavements. Coldplay will probably win, but I wouldn’t count out Bleeding love. I keep bleeding, keep, keep bleeding…

Song Of The Year
"American Boy" (Estelle f/ Kanye West)
"Chasing Pavements" (Adele)
"I'm Yours" (Jason Mraz)
"Love Song" (Sara Bareilles)
"Viva La Vida" (Coldplay)

Reactions: YAWN! Except for Adele natch. Who the hell is Sara Bareilles?

Best New Artist
Adele
Duffy
Jonas Brothers
Lady Antebellum
Jazmine Sullivan

Reactions: The big shocker here is no LEONA LEWIS. Clive Davis is probably throwing Grammy’s around his office this morning in a fit of rage. Now it looks as though Adele might actually win this award. Well guess who has two thumbs and thinks that would just be fine… (points towards self) this guy.

Huzzah!

No comments: