Saturday, November 17, 2007

Where is Helen Madden when you need her?



I am an avid lover of SNL. I always have been since I started watching the show in high school when it featured, in my opinion, the strongest female cast in its history. Of course I am speaking about the incredible trio of Molly "Mary Catherine Gallagher" Shannon, Cherie "Ariana the Spartan" Oteri, and Ana "Altadina Middle School Music Teacher Bobbi Maughan Culp" Gasteyer.

I know pundits say that the ultimate trio of women was Jane Curtin, Gilda Gadner, and Lorraine Newman. But those people are just purists who can't get past those women having ever been replaced. People also say that the current trio of Maya, Amy and Kristin are prime candidates for the best women of all time. But I still stand by that late 90's/early millenium cast. Especially Molly Shannon, who's Best of special is practically masturbation material for me.

Saturday Night Live has always been close to my heart. There is nothing I love more than gathering with a group of friends and watching hilarious sketches that throw the most current pop cultural references abound. Oh yeah and sometimes the musical guests are good too. So that's what I did for the premiere of this season. I gathered my closest friends around the tube in anticipation for a featured Penelope sketch and a hopefully absent MacGruber sketch.

The 33rd season of SNL premiere was a complete dud. Why is Loren Michaels allowing sport celebrities who are slightly "charismatic", and I use that in the loosest of terms, the chance to continually host. Charismatic sports figure do not equal or will never equal sketch comedy brilliance. They are more likely to stumble through visibly reading cue cards and constantly missing all comedic beats. I have never found it "groundbreaking" to see a sport celebrity on this show. Don't get me wrong sometime there is an exception (i.e Peyton Manning was quite enjoyable). But every time Loren Michaels feels the need to book one he should just watch the 1994 episode starring Nancy Kerrigan for all the evidence he needs to confirm it's never a good idea.

The premiere did feature a brilliant sketch spoofing 1980's dance sensation Solid Gold Dancers. It was the one time this season where the show has truly elicited a belly laugh from me. And for the record I also enjoy the color tan and bus rides.

The remaining shows of this season have been sub par at best. Seth Rogen was fine. Jon Bon Jovi was lame. Brian Williams was funny, but it's because he's a serious newscaster five days a week and not because he's a brilliant comedic force.

The problem with SNL right is that they have a limited number of recurring characters and sketches. Remember the days when you could tune into SNL and be guaranteed a Coffee Talk, Wayne's World, Mary Catherine Gallagher, Spartan Cheerleader, Mango, Debbie the Downer, Opera Man or Gap Girls. Now if we are really lucky we'll get a Penelope a handful of times this season.

I will give SNL their props for Dick in a Box. That was truly a brilliant digital short and it put SNL in the pop cultural radar more than it had been in years. But come on, if SNL can only land in water cooler talk once a season then there is a real problem.

SNL used to have me scream I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! I LOVE IT! But it hasn't in years and the season so far, coupled with the current WGA Strike, doesn't see me channeling my inner Helen Madden anytime soon.

No comments: