Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Emmy Oh My!

I have a love/hate relationship with the Emmy Awards. I love the Emmys because I truly love an award show. I even watched some Latina award show two weeks ago just cause it was on TV. I love the pomp and circumstance of award shows. I love the hilarious unscripted moment which typically comes from the mouth of Elaine Strich. And of course I love any show that will honor the brilliance of Tina Fey. But I hate The Emmys because they never seem to reward the most deserving.

That being said this year's show was more lows than highs. It was way more lows than highs! It was clunks instead chuckles. Too many moments of nothing (including the 5 minute opening bit where nothing actually happened on purpose. WTF???) instead of pratically any moments of something (I say Griffin and Don Rickles for hosts in 2009).

It seemed as though the show's writers were still on strike from last year. Seriously what the bland was up with the fivesome of hosts? They were unfunny, uncharismatic and their opening was as perplexing as the first four seasons of Lost combined. Heidi Klum and other hacks...YOU'RE OUT!

Highlights:

Tina Fey is a goddess. Can I just say that in one week Tina Fey was able to capture the entire nation's attention with her pitch perfect portrayal of Sarah Palin on SNL and she was able to win 3 Emmys including one for Best Actress in a Comedy Series. This woman can do no wrong. We must all surrender to her incredible talent that is disproportionate to practically anyone right now.

Alec Baldwin won. The fact he didn't win last year was a crime. I was worried that he wouldn't win this year and would become the consumate bridesmade and never the thoughtless, little (award hogging) pig.

Remember how for the longest time shitty shows like Everybody Loves Raymond, Boston Legal, and Monk would win a ton of awards. No outright shitty shows won this year and that is a very good thing.

I liked the laugh in tribute. I didn't really understand a lot of it but anything that features JoAnne "Hoppo" Worley sing song her way through a word brings complete joy and satisfaction to my life.

Lowlights:

The hosts go without saying because they were beyond dreadful.

But what was up Josh Groban singing theme songs to popular shows? Why? It was the oddest choice performance choice since Elvis and Celine dueted on American Idol a few seasons ago. What the Andrea Bocelli does Josh Groban have to do with TV? Seriously Josh Groban singing South Park was like watching the cast of Sesame Street perform at the Superbowl Half Time show. It just didn't belong and made me feel uneasy like a child who had just been touched by a stranger in the under bathing suit area.

Amy Poehler losing. I wanted the Fey and Poehler double whammy. Unfort, it did not happen. Apparently anyone can win Best Supportive Actress. Anyone, anyone, anyone. Poehler should have just wanted it a little more.

2008/09 TV brings some potential great new show including Kath and Kim, True Blood and The United State of Diablo Cody...er I mean Tara. Will they be Emmy fare? Well only time will tell. Now I will go listen to Josh Groban's Emmy suite and do nothing. I mean in theory in theory is sounds like a good idea right?

No comments: