Thursday, February 21, 2008

Idol and Model.

I like to consider myself a bit of a movie snob, with the most sophistocated of tastes. However, I am also a pop culture and reality TV whore. I can't get enough of it. Honestly I used to be addicted to Fox's ugly duckling into beauty reality competition The Swan and of course Anna Nicole's reality show back in the days when she was rocking the deuce on the scale and you know, alive!

We are in a harsh winter here in Canada and little brings me joy like my reality guilty pleasures American Idol and America's Next Top Model.

While I lost interest in Model last cycle and I contend that American Idol hasn't found a truly unique artist since Fantasia, I will always find time in my TV viewing schedule to see Tyra be an overdramatic camera slut and to see Paula Abdul stumble her way through every sentence she speaks and give sex eyes to every member of the male species aged puberty to pre-nursing home.

This year I have a few faves on Idol, although I am still very scared about the lack of a legitimate artist. Although it is early still.

The following five contestants are my favorites. I am thrilled to see not a Sanjaya or John Stephens like contestant in sight.

Amanda OvermyerShe is a rocker-nurse who is the real deal. She has a total Joplin rocker vibes that feels very authentic to me. I don't think she is a great vocalist, but she is the closest thing AI has to an artist this season. I also totally dig her laid back, no ego, borderline ambilivilent attitude.

David ArchuletaIs it wrong that I have a crush on a 17 year old? The Mary Kay LeTourneau in me thinks not. Then I see a picture like this that was taken back from a mere 5 years ago when he won Star Search. My immediate Lolita fantasy is flacid and it makes me vomit in my mouth a little bit. I think he has the best male voice in the competition and his definitive adorableness will put both tween girls heartbeats and their text voting fingers into overdrive. Remember when this was considered cute and talented.Well David is legitimate cute and talented.

Jason Castro. I love this guy's vibe. He is a dreaded guitar stoner who much like nurse rocker, seems pretty legitimate. Unlike felow finalist Robbie Castro, who not long ago looked like an 7 Club Seven tribute band member (well he kinda was since he opened once for Britney in Europe in a band called Boyz N Girlz). He now tries to moonlight as a "rocker". He is as much a rocker as Clay Aiken is a twink. Anyways, Jason Castro is pretty rad.

I always love a black woman in the competition. Fantasia was queen. JHud was princess. Vonzell was Duchess. This year I am digging two in the top 24. I l am loving me some Syesha Marcado and Asia'h Epperson. Syesha has a knockout voice and is a great performer. Asia'h has a great story (her dad died two days before her initial audition) and a lovely raspy tone to her voice.

I would think that all these performers have a solid shot at top 12. I am not digging all this hype and buzz about Michael Johns and Carly "HAD A RECORD DEAL AND ONLY SOLD 400 ALBUMS" Smithson. But my mind can always be changed with a knockout performance.

America's Next Top Model Cycle 10 premiered last night. It was part half hour of constant screaming session from model wannabes/Tyra enthusiasts, a 15 minute ode to mini Oprah herself, and an extended 15 minute I HAVE NO CLIT monologue from Sudanese, Iman Jr contestant Fatima. Needless to say it was Mr. and Mrs. J perfection.

It's very early to tell, but I am liking

Claire - the mother/wife who is strikingly beautiful.

Katarzyna - Who is Ivy League educated and high fashion-liscious.

and Lauren - The Punk who doesn't stand a chance in hell. I already love to watch her attempt to walk in heels and I always love me a quirky, "what the hell am I doing here?" type reality contestant.

No comments: